NOW

THENnow_and_then_shinnecock_hills.html

A 1891 deed named the property owner as Jane Borrowe Colt, daughter of Mary Beekman Borrowe and Morgan G. Colt. Sister to Sarah, Julia, Mary, Lyman, Morgan.  The estate sold by Miss Colt to Flocee Realty (July  8, 1946): the lands subdivided when the main house (Note 1, aka “Cottage” and “Summerhouse”) burned to the ground (July 6,1951, Fire Claims Another Victim; Colt House on Hills Destroyed by Blaze; Penny Wise..Pound Foolish , Note 14). The Carriage House/Cottage and Carriage/Gatehouse escaped the fire -  now owned by Artists Sandrow/Skogsbergh.


What remains of the Colt Manor House (aka Summer Cottage) constructed by “Boss John  Aldrich” (note 2) pictured below.  (left) Nine stone markers nearby wall and steps in foreground; looking south down the hill to the formal gardens known locally as “Colt’s Corner” (noted 3a on postcard) and, below, visa versa. (left) Dorothy Perkins Rose; Lily of the Valley; Bricked Paths, Water Fountain, Benches, Garden Room, Well House, (toppled) Wind Mill.

Note 1: Southampton Town (From the Seaside Times), East Hampton Star October 2 1891 p 4 image 4 - research,  newspaper article found by Susan Clark


Note 2: Southampton Town (From the Seaside Times), East Hampton Star, May 13, 1892 p4 image 4 - research, newspaper article found by Susan Clark.


Note 3: The Colt Manor House (aka Cottage) likely gambrel structure pictured on the distant hilltop: (l to r) postcard, dated July 15 1953 addressed to Miss Wilma Wiesgerber from R Schumacher gifted to Sandrow by neighbor John Hunt; Postcards Collection Hope Sandrow.

Note 3A: “Colt’s Corner” handwritten lower right hand corner researched, found online by Susan Clark.


Note 4: The County Review, November 21 1913 page 2 image 2 image provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 5: “Southampton Cottage List for 1920” Southampton Press volume July 1 1920 page 9 image 9 image provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 6: Garden Tour, The County Review July 4, 1940 Page 7 Image 7 image provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 7: Social Happenings in the Hamptons, Southampton Press volume July 13 1933 page 11 image 11 provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System. Also mentioned Mrs. La Motte T. Cohu


Note 8: Many view Exhibitions at Hampton Flower Show The County Review July 30, 1936 Page 6 Image 6 image provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 9: “Aunt Polly’s Herb Garden” Wins Highest Show Award, Southampton Press volume July 24 1936 page 1 image 1 provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 10: Garden Clubs Brooklyn Daily Eagle July 31 1932 provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note11: Gorgeous Exhibit at Flower Show  Southampton Press volume August 1 1935 page 4 image 4 provided by Suffolk Cooperative Library System


Note 12: New York Sun July 24 1931


Note 13: Paterson Morning Call New York Sun July 24 1935


Note 14: Southampton Press July 13 1951, page 1, page 6, page 4 researched, found by Susan Clark. Same year as birth of Sandrow, and Skogsbergh;  Madeline Goodfriend Schonberger’s “Bird” included in the Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibit “American Sculpture 1951”.


Note 15: Nine Stone “Markers” identified by Shinnecock Tela Troge and Rainbow Genia Chavis (April 6 2021)

Note 3

Note 4

Note 5

Note 6

Note 8

Note 7

Note 9

Note 10

“Miss Colt was best known to the residents of Southampton Town, as a lover of flowers and gardens, her unique flower arrangements had gained many awards wherever they were exhibited, and for countless summers her flowers had been a delight to all her friends. The Shinnecock Hills summerhouse of Miss Colt was bought in 1891. And after advancing years and failing health forced her to give up gardening the place was finally sold last year”. excerpt

Jane B. Colt Obituary,

The County Review,  March  27, 1947

Note11

Note 12

Note 13

Note 14

Note 1

Note 2

Note 3a

Note 15